Wednesday, March 23, 2011

On a train from Milan to Verona, Italy.

I brought with me my stack of unread W magazines to keep me company on the many train rides we planned on taking throughout Europe.  Sadly, the magazines are from 2009.  Yes, they're about two years old because I've never truly had the opportunity to read them until now.  

Although a bit outdated, the magazines are still great.  I love W.  It's one of my favorite publications because while it is always fresh and forward-thinking, it's also classic, somehow.  The photos are consistently gorgeous and the stories, where most other magazines tend to fall short, are also typically well-written and worth the read.  Almost every issue has an article featuring some unknown yet amazing individual - a person who has lived a life most mere mortals can only dream of.  I always read those articles even though I have never heard of the individual before because their lives are always beyond fascinating.  W features articles about models, muses, playboys, royalty, artists, criminals, crazies, and beyond -- an entire gamut of personalities.

As a result, after reading each issue, I find myself coveting a life of glitz and glam (but not necessarily fame) that is depicted in the stories I read.  Each person is too magnificent and I want to be magnificent, too.  And this is why, I suspect, no matter how happy I am or how pleased I am with the current state of my life, there is always a part of me that is perpetually dissatisfied because I am forced to acknowledge that destiny does not have in store for me an existence other than that of the ordinary.  I am ordinary.  This saddens me.  And it's no surprise to me that the stories that resonate the most are the ones of the women who have shunned obtaining what I consider today's measure of success:  a good career, a loving husband, adorable children.  These are all items I covet, but as I read stories about women who have found and defined  their passion for love in an atypical manner, with different, ever-changing, beds and fleeting, powerful, relationships -- I wonder why it is I am so common and have only sought such common goals.

And then I look to my left and see an old Italian couple getting ready to depart the train.  I wonder how many years they have been married as they stand up and the wife helps her husband with his coat, pulling his shirt down neatly around his pants because it rose as he tried to put on his coat.  Next, she assists him with sliding on his small red backpack, gingerly guiding his arms through the loops.  There is a sincerity and commitment in their interaction that is silent, but profound, and I couldn't help but notice it, couldn't help but adore them.  With this simple image, I am reminded of why it is that most days I am common and only during fleeting moments do I have the desire to be magnificent.   Because common people are smart:  having a love like that must be good for the soul and everyone wants it 'cause it's bloody hard to achieve. 

2 comments:

  1. i have a stack of magazines I have yet to read from last year too! and while, some of us are living a daily common life, living a life in love and travel (albeit for a temporary period) is anything but ordinary! safe travels. xo, jenvo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Realizing - accepting? - that my life is so ordinary comes as a strange awakening. It requires throwing away of the grandeurs of delusion I've been raised with.. safe travels, scriptamanent!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...